I am on a journey, to make Aliyah, and want to share my journey with my family, friends and anyone that is interested. I made the decision to make Aliyah in December 2002 and now I am actually doing it. This blog will chronicle my story and adventures leading up to getting on the plane and then the continuing story of the beginning of my new life in Israel and what I experience once there.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Back to School

After my busy day in Jerusalem I slept quite well and woke up to goto my first day in Ulpan (Intensive Hebrew Class) I arrived before the 8am start and the office directed me to the class that I would be joining. It actually began in May and I'm joining them in the middle. The school director thinks this might be around the level I am currently at. The first 30 minutes or so was what I expected, a little mind boggling. After that I started to better understand what was going on and even got to participate a little. We had a couple of breaks and even had "music time" when another teacher came in the classroom with an electric piano and worked with us to sing Hebrew/Israeli songs. The chairs were harder than I recall from school days and we were given homework.

After class I headed to the bank to order checks and a credit card. The compters were down, so they were not able to help me on the spot. The person who opened my accounts the other day made a note of what I needed and will order them when the computes are back online. I had a US check to deposit and they will also process that when the computer comes back online. Finally I still can't login to online banking, and again without computers this would have to wait...

In the same building as my bank is the local kosher McDonalds. Since it was after 1pm and I hadn't eaten much today, I decided to give it a go. It's been 8 years since I've eaten McDonalds hamburgers as that is when I started keeping kosher. So, I had a Big Mac, fries and a drink. My experience last time in Israel with Burger King led me to think I wouldn't find the fast food burger that good (it was good, just didn't find that I missed fast food) but I was surprised to find that I really enjoyed the burger and just the fact that I could again eat in McDonalds. I don't think this will become a staple in my diet, but it is here and I'm sure I'll eat there again.

After eating I was heading home and stopped to buy the next needed item, a laundry basket. I will need to be doing laundry in the next couple of days, so having a way to carry it would be a good thing. I then headed back to the apartment.

After all the running around I did over the last week I wanted an afternoon of peace and quiet and spent the afternoon catching up on the blog, e-mail, skype, etc. It was a good day and without a nap I think I am getting close to having adjusted to the time change, I can tell I'm not fully adjusted, but close.

No comments: